Crew,

Some feel that my posts are sometimes harshly worded. Perhaps they
are. But it seems to me that someone with a General Class ham
license, and especilly someone with an Extra Class ticket, ought to
have spent some time studying something more than the Study Guide to
pass the exam. This is ham radio, not CB radio. A ham license is not
a boxtop license. As hams, we are granted rather extensive operating
privileges on the basis of our technical knowledge, our advancement
of the state of the art, and our preparedness for emergencies. As
hams, it is our responsibility to STUDY this stuff.

The ARRL Handbook is very well written, and includes chapters that
cover all of this material in a manner that is quite readable. You
don't have to have a lot of math or physics or engineering background
to understand it. All you have to do is make a serious effort.

I admit to being a grandfatherly curmudgeon. And I'm probably going
to stay that way until they throw dirt on me.

73,

Jim Brown K9YC