Len,

I am not certain why you want only off reflector replies.  I would think
this would be a suitable subject for general interest, and related to
the protection of Elecraft equipment.

Lightning Protection done correctly can be very involved.  It consists
of a grounding scheme of many large copper wires and ground stakes
covering a large area to dissipate a lightning surge over a large area
of the earth.  Perimeter ground wires around any building and radial
ground wires (not to be confused with a radial field for a vertical)
having several ground rods at intervals connected to the ground wire and
a ground rod any place where he ground wire makes a change in direction
are important considerations.

As for the shack entry point, running *all* connections coming into the
shack (power, telco, ethernet, and antennas) through a single "grounding
window" is important for lightning protection considerations.

The minor consideration included in a lightning protection system is the
surge protectors on feedlines and all other lines (power, telco,
ethernet, rotator and control lines) coming into the shack.  I use
Polyphaser surge protectors on the coax feedlines at the point of entry
to the building and also at the shack grounding window.  Other lines are
protected by MOVs at both points, and the power to the shack runs
through TrippLite suppressors.

Yes, I have the perimeter wires around the buildings on the property and
I have 3 radial wires running from each mast or tower - buried 1 to 2
feet under the ground and connected to driven ground rods at intervals.
I have implemented reasonable lightning protection - I had the
opportunity to install it when the house was being built and the antenna
field was being developed.  Still, I do not trust it for full protection
-  My antennas are grounded when not in use and any equipment in the
shack is connected to a dummy load.

For additional information about lightning protection, see the
PolyPhaser website.  Ron Block wrote a good 2 part article on the
subject in QST 5 or 6 years ago.  Much of the information about the
design of my protection system came from those articles.

73,
Don W3FPR