-----Original Message----- From: "Bill W4ZV (via Nabble)" Sent: May 29, 2009
6:58 AM To: "Len, K3LJ" Subject: Re: Elecraft OT - Lightning Protection The
most economical and most effective lightning protection is to simply disconnect
*ALL* cables (preferably outside the shack) and disconnect *ALL* equipment
power cords from the wall when lightning is in the vicinity.  I also have
a whole house surge suppressor on my power service and use quick disconnect
trailer hitch connectors for my control cables. I have a 180' tower that is the
highest structure for miles around and have never had any internal damage from
lightning in 14 years at this QTH.   I've also learned to become my own
lightning forecaster using websites like the following:
http://www.uspln.com/index2.html   (my favorite...touch the bottom of the
map) http://thunderstorm.vaisala.com/explorer.html
http://www.weather.com/maps/activity/golf/uslightningstrikes_large.html 73,
 Bill