I agree with Iain on this. The TPIC6595 drivers in the KRC2 _do_ have
diode protection built in. Still, it is an excellent idea to have
diodes across the relays, next to the relays themselves. This is how
my own relay box is designed.

And yes, we Elecraft folks do use our own products, extensively. It's
far more fun that way.

On May 29, 2009, at 12:19 PM, Iain MacDonnell - N6ML wrote:

> Matt/W6NIA notes, off-list, that the driver in the KRC2 has protection
> that makes the diode unnecessary ... but, personally, I'd still
> include
> it anyway - it's just good practice...
>
>     ~Iain / N6ML
>

> mzil...@verizon.net wrote:
>> I cannot post to the group from this account right now, so feel
>> free to
>> paraphrase or repost.
>>
>> If he's using the KRC2, diodes won't be needed for either sink or
>> source
>> outputs.  The TPIC6C595 driver includes transient protection for
>> both type of
>> output...
>>
>> 73,
>> matt W6NIA
>>

>> May 29, 2009 12:16:12 PM, a...@dseven.org <mailto:a...@dseven.org> wrote:
>>

>>    Vic K2VCO wrote:
>>>
>>> In practical terms, you can connect a 12v dc relay to a source
>>> terminal
>>    of the KRC2 and
>>> ground the other side of it.
>>>
>>> To use a sink terminal, connect +12v dc to one terminal of the
>>> relay and
>>    ground the other one.
>>
>>    Err, you mean connect the other one to the "sink terminal" :)
>>
>>    You should also have a diode across the coil of the relay, of
>> course,
>>    so your "sink terminal" doesn't get slammed as the magnetic field
>>    collapses when it's turned off.
>>
>>    ~Iain / N6ML

>>    This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
>>    Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/