I operated SOSB20 in CQ WPX this past weekend and gave the K3 a pretty good
workout.  I made 1300+ contacts but that pales in comparison to the zillions of
times I repetitively hit the F1 key.  My wife and I have been building our own
home the past few years and we still don't have the air conditioning
functional, so the ambient temperature in the shack was right at 80 deg F much
of the day.  I set the K3 to continuously monitor PA temp, and even with the
relatively large duty cycle I was giving the rig I never saw it go above 47 deg
C.

The other very impressive thing was the narrow filter.  I used a 250 Hz 8-pole
filter with the DSP set to 250 Hz, and it was like a knife edge.  I could
operate within a couple hundred Hz of most S9+20 stations and never hear them
--- unmodified Yaesu rigs being the exception (there are still some HORRIBLE
sounding clicks out there).  Whether those stations heard me was probably a
function of whether they were using a K3 or not ;)  The downside was that I had
to ride the RIT most of the time ... I had a LOT of people call me pretty far
off frequency and the only way I could tell they were there was by the rhythm
of their key clicks unless I swept back and forth with the RIT.

Which brings up a side observation ... there is so much disparity now between
the performance of various rigs that it seems possible to generate some
misconceptions regarding operating skill and courtesy.  I wonder how many times
other stations thought I was deaf or couldn't copy their CW merely because they
couldn't zero beat my signal within 150 Hz or so?  And I wonder how many people
thought I was a LID for calling CQ too close to them on what was for me a clear
frequency because they didn't have as tight a filtering as I did?  To minimize
the latter, I usually opened up the bandpass a bit when looking for a clear
frequency, but the folks with 500 Hz filters and no roofing filters would have
still had trouble.

I did have the AF knob for the main receiver crack on me 20 minutes before the
contest started, though, and the knob just spun on the shaft.  Luckily one of
the set screws still had enough grip to do the job after snugging it up a bit
and it held up through the contest.  I've had my K3 since January and had been
very careful tightening the screws initially.

73,
Dave   AB7E