------Original Mail------
From: "wayne burdick" <n...@elecraft.com>
To: <xda...@cis-broadband.com>,
    <elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
Sent: Tue, 2 Jun 2009 12:04:04 -0700
Subject: Re: CQ Contest

Hi, Wayne.

Well, I knew about the Dual Passband capability but to tell the truth, I didn't
really know how narrow the "focus"filter was ... I can't find any spec on in
the manual.  It's nice to know that it is nominally 150 Hz, though.

The more relevant issue for me, though, is that I only have one CW roofing
filter ... the 8-pole 250Hz.  As soon as I activate Dual Passband filtering
(which works nicely, by the way) I jump into my next roofing filter, which in
my case is an 8-pole 1.5 KHz filter.  That's pretty wide for a contest
environment with lots of loud stations like CQ WPX.  I previously couldn't see
the need for a wider CW filter, but I guess that would be a good reason to have
one.

For the time being, I think I prefer the knife edge filtering even if I have to
use the RIT.  In my opinion, it's a real competitive advantage to be able to
make use of those cracks in the wall to operate.

73,
Dave   AB7E

Dave,

Sounds like you may be a candidate for the dual-passband CW feature of
the K3. It gives you a 150-Hz "focus" filter, but allows you to hear
signals either side of this at about -20 dB (the "context"). The
context width is adjustable with the WIDTH control. See the manual for
further details.

Wayne
N6KR

---