From: John Watkins <n0...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: [Elecraft] Battery Charging - Temperature does matter
To: "Elecraft Reflector" <elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
Date: Wednesday, June 10, 2009, 11:44 AM

I have been reading the comments about charging and floating various batteries
and just had to comment on the 'law of chemistry'.

All lead acid batteries whether they are gelcel, AGM or conventional deep
cycle, all work because of that dreaded course you tried to avoid in school
called chemistry 101.  Chemical reactions are effected by temperature.  Most of
you see this coming already.  Yes, the float voltage for lead-acid batteries to
achieve proper care does change with the battery temperature.

So, if your battery storage area changes temperature from summer to winter you
should make a voltage adjustment.  Mine varies from 50's in the winter to 80's
in the summer.  So I use the manufactures chart to adjust my float voltage
accordingly.  My settings run about 13.8 volts winter to 13.3 in the summer.
Your mileage may vary.

John - N0EVH