Howard,

Man, are you a dreamer!  Not even the $10k radios come off the line in the
condition you say is your expectation!  Remember, some of the mods to the K3
have been "fixes" admittedly, but most of them have been more like upgrades.
I have an Orion II that I've had for a couple of years more than I've had my
K3, and they are just now getting around to de-bugging a few of the software
issues.  Most of the hardware issues are untouched!  The IC-7800 required a
"return it to the factory" mod to fix some of the glitches it had.  The
IC-7700 has probably been less troublesome, but that's significantly due to
what Icom learned (and corrected) from the 7800.  The Yaesu FTD 9000 was a
disaster when it was released!

The best radios for having few issues are those that are actually ugrade
models.  One of the best examples is Icom 706 Mark II G.  Both the original
version, and the Mark II version, had loads of "pimples" in their design.
It only took 4 or 5 years to finally get a version that was relatively
sound.

The K3 had some warts when it first came out, but most of those were quickly
addressed, and did not require a "return to sender" process.  More
importantly, the fixes were easily accomplished with simple part value
corrections/additions.

I'm not unsympathetic with your frustration, but I think anyone who expects
a radio to be both feature rich and error free is being a bit unrealistic.
I would also suggest that the "error rate" the K3 is overly transparent,
compared to other radios, primarily due to this reflector and the
interchange with the company itself.  Here all the problems tend to be laid
out for all to see, but instead of "talking to the wall" you get to talk to,
and get effective resolution from, factory personnel.  For the most part, as
soon as an issue appears to be more than just an isolated problem, Elecraft
tackles the problem.  Other manufacturers, like Yaesu and Icom, silently
wait for the complaints to reach almost a deafening level, then they just as
silently make production changes, and the only way you have a prayer of
avoiding the problem is to acquire a late serial number.  If you monitor the
reflectors for many of the other current radios, I think you might see what
I am talking about.

Again, I'm not criticizing your frustration level, but I think you would be
a lot happier with a radio that is a lot further along in its life cycle.
By the way, the K3 is not really quite 2 years old yet--at least not by my
calculations.  I have #96, and I didn't get mine until November of 2007. I'd
say it's still in its infancy.  But I can make mine play just like the one
coming off the line tomorrow, and that's without having to send it back to
Aptos.

Dave W7AQK