From: elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net
[mailto:elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of Dave Van Wallaghen
Sent: Tuesday, July 14, 2009 6:39 AM
To: Vic K2VCO
Cc: Elecraft Reflector; Bill Tippett
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] K3 Diversity Rocks!

Vic wrote:

I also hear the signal moving back and forth with QSB, but there seems to be
another
advantage as well. One problem I have copying weak CW signals is that
sometimes a bit of
noise comes along and causes me to miss a letter in a call, for example, and
I have to
wait for the guy to send it again. During a QSO it's less of a problem
because the brain
fills in letters and words from the context, but sometimes I am missing
almost every other
letter and this mechanism breaks down.

Possibly the noise is picked up differently by the antennas...I'm not sure,
but when
diversity is on, the signal seems to stand out, less damaged by the noise.
Far fewer
letters get crunched -- it makes it much easier to copy.

Yes, that is exactly what I heard as well. The sound was much richer and
full and the sigs just seemed to pop up out of the noise better. Doing A/B
comparisons between diversity and single receive I heard much more ringing
in narrow DSP filtering on single receive that combined with the noise would
tend to bury some signals. But with diversity reception, the signal would
seem to pop out more and sound better with much less ringing or harshness.

73,
Dave W8FGU