Hi Alan,

Please consider MFJ's 8100K regenerative receiver kit. It provides reasonable
shortwave performance, and its regeneration control can be adjusted for ssb
and cw reception. The radio's open layout makes it a good kit for beginners,
and the $80 price includes a nice case. The kit assembly even requires the
winding of one toroid.

I used to teach an "Introduction to Radio" course for liberal arts students,
most
of whom had never before seen a soldering iron. They had a ball building these
radios, and the few radios that did not work when first turned on were easy to
troubleshoot.

73,
John, no8v