I have K3 #1029. The nested knobs are perfectly concentric to my eye.
The Shift/Width knobs don't fall off and are not too short. None have
cracked in one year of almost daily service.

Perhaps there have been some incompatible production variations along
the way. I don't doubt you are having a problem but have to disagree
with your comments about design. The original design seems perfectly
adequate if #1029 is any indication.

73,
Drew
AF2Z