I went to one of those lectures by Prof Mike Underhill (G3L??) in front of his
IEE peers who did not receive his wisdom too readily.  It seemed like a one-man
campaign.  In essence he postulated that a mag loop was more like a short
folded dipole and he showed why.  The usual calculated losses were insufficient
to show why loops worked the way they did.

I once made a loop from 12ft x 4ft sheet aluminium with a huge capacitor 4ft x
6inch vanes spot welded to the ends (that was an education in itself).  It was
incredibly impractical, but I did it anyway.  I measured a 46dB front to side
attenuation.  I scrapped it soon afterward.

David
G3UNA