Hi All,

A friend of mine here locally once did quite a bit of modeling for loops.
He determined that setting up a loop vertically was easier than he expected.
Horizontal loops are difficult here in the desert.  Anyway, his modeling
disclosed that the horizontal height of a vertical loop (full wave) only
needed to be about 30 degrees to start being quite effective.  In other
words, a 40 meter vertical loop only needed to be about 11 or 12 feet high
on each end, with the rest of the loop run horizontally.  This is not all
that difficult to do with readily available supports.  Of course, the bottom
of the loop should be off the ground as much as possible, so the total
vertical height should be something more than just 11 or 12 feet.  Vertical
loops are quite directional, but they have a lower take-off angle for DXing.

Smaller magnetic loops may have similar tendencies.  I know it is important
to get them up off the ground as much as possible, and I have always had
much better results using them vertically as opposed to horizontally.  I
built a couple of these things from magazine articles, and they do work.
It's hard though, to imagine the efficiency being all that great.
Nevertheless, they are fun to play with, and not too difficult to make
yourself.  Bill Jones, KD7S, had a very good article in QST some years back
which really gives you a lot of important info about doing various things to
make the antenna as efficient as possible.  His "trombone" capacitor was
very interesting, but I haven't tried that yet.

I would think that apartment dwellers, hopefully having a balcony, might
have some real fun tinkering with these antennas.  If you are high enough
off the ground you might get decent results using the loop horizontally.  A
low RPM motor to tune the capacitor makes life easier too.  I bought one
from Edmund Scientific, and it worked very well.  The tuning will be
extremely sharp however.  I was never able to go more than a few khz without
having to retune.

Dave W7AQK