From: elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net
[mailto:elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of Paul - WW2PT
Sent: Wednesday, August 26, 2009 1:17 PM
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] K3 NR

I found the NR in v3.25 to be excellent to my ears and a big improvement to
previous versions, but I'm having a lot of trouble finding a NR setting with
v3.27 that I'm comfortable with -- everything sounds like it's coming
through a tunnel, even the x-1 settings. I generally prefer minimal DPS
noise reduction for SSB and have rarely used the x-4 settings. I generally
stuck to 4-1 or 4-2 in previous versions and rode the RF Gain to further
reduce background noise when needed. Just can't find a happy setting with
v3.27.  It might sound OK on one signal but awful on another, resulting in
far more dial tweaking than I usually like to do.

RX EQ is flat as has been suggested, just doesn't help much. The tunnel
effect is a bit less bothersome when using headphones, but I generally
prefer using a pair of powered desktop speakers with AFX (Bin) turned on.
Haven't tried NR in CW mode yet, my comments apply only to SSB.

I've reverted to 3.25 and then back to 3.27 just to make sure I'm hearing
what I think I'm hearing. I think I can live with the new NR settings, but
sure would like to have them *in addition to* the 3.25 filters which were
damn near perfect for my ears. Maybe some additional less aggressive NR
settings (5-1 through 5-4, 6-1 through 6-4, etc.) will make everyone happy?

Just more free advice... ;-)

73,
Paul WW2PT