That is really very good reading, if highly technical. Helps to make a
little index card with all the abbreviations used.

One thing clearly suggested by the article is that immense efforts to tailor
the K3 NR based upon complaints/praise, or measurable improvement of
intelligibility, are, stated simply, doomed to failure absent a breakthrough
invention in DNR that would make the patent holder rich.

I'd just as soon see Lyle get rich as someone I don't know, so keep at it
:>)

I have done some amount of testing on NR. My earlier conclusions, fuzzy
compared to the article, are similar.  For a weak CW signal in the noise, NR
is more likely to DEGRADE intelligibility. The article attributes this kind
of thing to a masking effect.

NR makes listening to signals in noise more tolerable, until the signal
becomes masked, then it gets in the way.

Using NR, all signals will degrade vs. no NR at and below the masking point.
Note that for contesting, these are the QSO's which make the winners. Those
who can hear these difficult signals will get stuff others can't.

There are similar issues with what some mistakenly call ringing. The narrow
CW bandwidths in a noisy band situation will produce a constant "narrow
noise" which competes for attention if the listener finds it irritating. It
seems to be particularly irritating for those who tend to mentally
demodulate the signal in a wide bandwidth.

My own explanation for those who hear this way is that the wide bandwidth
allows them TO IDENTIFY THE NOISE in their mind, assigning it a
pseudo-diversity, ignore it and thus separate the CW.  I surmise that for
them, in the narrow situation, THE CW SOUNDS LIKE THE NOISE.

Identifying the CW by throwing away the noise seems the case in diversity
RX, where a fairly real sounding pseudo-spatial diversity spreads around
non-discrete signals, but leaves the desired signal focused. Diversity RX is
the only setup where narrow bandwidths have a way to spread the noise