> I do have an issue with the Elecraft Utility though.  After running and
> closing it, the serial port is not released.

Interesting.

In my operating position, I use a RigExpert Plus between the K3 and the
computer.  This device includes a USB <-> RS232 converter.  After
running Utility, I have no problem running HRD over the same port.

In my development position, I use a standard serial port (no USB
adapter). Similarly, I have never had a problem with the serial port
being blocked after closing Utility.  Previously, I have used a Prolific
chipset-based USB <-> RS232 dongle (similar to the KUSB sold by
Elecraft), and I've never had a problem with another application using
that serial port after Utility ha sused it and I closed Utility.

Running XP Pro SP3 on the computers involved, and SP2 prior to that with
the same results.

YMMV (and apparently does!),

Lyle KK7P