> Most 3-500 based amplifiers with 2800 V (no load) on the plates
> require 120 Watts or so for "legal limit" output.  That's about
> 11 dB gain.

Even with 3 x 3-500s in my LK550 and 2,900V no load, I only need about
25-40W input depending on band to reach our legal limit: 500W.  Which
is plenty, way too much in fact for the digital modes.

> Part 97.317(a)(2) limits the maximum gain to 15 dB
> (approximately 50 W drive for 1500 W out).

Not in NZ.  Is there really a max gain regulation in the US?  How
quaint!

> The extra 10 to 20 watts of drive makes a difference for those
> who have SB-220, TL-922, AL-82, AL-1300, AL-572, etc. amplifiers.
> It can mean another 200+ W output.

... The difference will be small in pure signal strength terms but
sure the operator's confidence is improved.  A cheaper option (as used
by certain CBers) is to tweak your power meter to read high.

Seriously, though, a bit more attention to operating skills and maybe
a little investment in your antennas and feeders will eclipse the QRO
option every time.  #1 DXing tip is simply to be very active and
listen hard.   #2 is to save up those tenths of dBs you get for free
by eliminating unnecessary coax connectors, and indeed unnecessary
coax.  Someone should start giving out 0.1dB savings stamps and a
DXers' collector's card.

73
Gary  ZL2iFB