> There is just so much any manufacturer can do to protect an operator

> from him or herself. The K3 already has the delta f light, the SPLIT

> indicator on the display (TU W2ZK - I'd forgotten that) and
> frequency
> readout for both VFOs. As one who has made his share of errors with

> the K3 and other radios, there is simply no substitute for just
> learning how to use any radio.

True, and it seems I'm still learning!  I like the arrangement on the
TS850 and similar radios which have a set of TX and RX buttons for VFO
A and VFO B, with LED indicators for the active VFO.  Visually, it's
easy to select the split.  The K3's smaller display and control panel
make this harder, but not impossible.  I'm just retraining my eyes to
spot the new clues.  Maybe turning up the LED brightness will help
(Menu -> LED BRT) but I support the idea of making the delta-F LED
flash in true split mode (not just with RIT/XIT).

I usually get it wrong having excitedly QSYd to a spot frequency on
DXcluster: the rig defaults to no-split, naturally.  I normally
remember to tweak VFO B up 1 (or whatever) and set the sub-RX to
listen there, but sometimes I neglect to hit-and-hold the split button
as well.  That's quite a lot of buttons to press in a hurry.

So FWIW I also vote for an "instant split" function, i.e. if I hold
the split button, I'd like VFO B to shift up/down by a configurable
and ideally mode- and maybe even band-dependent offset from VFO A and
also turn on the sub RX [if fitted] on VFO B.

[Yes, this would of course be an optional, configurable,
take-it-or-leave-it change to suit those of you who don't like *my*
defaults!]

In the absense of a firmware fix for this, maybe someone can figure
out a way to make the logging program send the relevant commands to
the K3 from one button press, or just whenever I click a cluster spot
(since most spottees are operating split)?

> The real problem with split errors is the insidious nastiness of the

> cops when a quick "RSE up" will do (and the DX isn't TX!), or
> perhaps
> a Talk cluster message that no one else sees. Either would be
> far less
> disruptive.

Absolutely.  See http://www.k6sgh.com/splitpolice.htm  :-)   4U1UN on
30m was wiped out by an EA caller this morning, who I think was
calling another lower station on split.  The cops who sent "UP UP UP
UP IDIOT" etc., several times each, made a simple problem worse since
the EA was evidently not listening on his TX freq (another good reason
for the instant-split function to also set the sub-RX on VFO B).

73
Gary  ZL2iFB