In a recent message, "Julian, G4ILO" <julian.g4...@gmail.com> wrote ...
>It crops up fairly often, with people who use USB to serial adapters. If you
>have a desktop PC, consider purchasing a PCI serial board to give yourself a
>real serial port.

Desktop owners may not even need to buy a PCI board as most motherboards
already have a serial connection.  All is needed is a 10-pin header to
feed the port to D-9 plug on a back plate.  It often puzzles me as to
why so many people need to get a USB to serial adapter when all is
needed is a bit of simple electronics.  Perhaps this is beyond many of
today's radio amateurs ;-(

Of course, if a laptop/notebook computer is being used maybe an adapter
is the only way.

73
--
David G4DMP