Hi All,

I recently added an Ameritron ALS-600 amp to my shack.  Initially I wasn't
that keen on the ALS-600 because it wasn't "QSK".  However, I read about a
mod that Phil Salas, AD5X, came up with, and it is cheap and easy.  You can
find all the details on Phil's website, www.ad5x.com.

Anyway, I bought the amp, and today I added the mod.  It went very
quickly--no fuss.  Works very well, and costs only a small fraction of what
a QSK accessory would normally run.  Phil has a complete kit, with PC board,
for $31 shipped, or you can root around and find the parts yourself, and
make your own board.  I strongly recommend Phil's kit.

The factory relay is removed, and two small molded relays are substituted in
the mod.  You also add a diode on the PC board, and connect a few new wires.
That's it!  The old relay is very noisey, but the replacements are much,
much quieter.  You still hear some chatter, but the improvement is very
significant.

Everything works very well with my K3, so I'm pretty happy at this point.  I
don't use the amp all the time, but I really needed the help, particularly
on 40 meters, when condx aren't all that great.

Anyway, I thought some other K2/K3 owners might be interested in the
process.

Dave W7AQK