Dears
I've seen on the manual S9 /50 microvolts is adjusted with Preamp ON .
As a new Elecrafter I need some explanations, because with my previous rigs, I
use to calibrate S9 without the preamp.
Thanks
Philippe A65BI
K3 #3616

Geoffrey Downs-2 wrote:

> A couple of years ago there was some correspondence on the reflector about
> whether an S unit is 6db or 4 db and there appears to be historical
> precedent for both but I have looked at the archive and can't find where
> it
> rested as far as the K3 is concerned. It occurred to me while recently
> re-calibrating my S meter with the XG2 that if, in accordance with the
> manual, you set S9 to be 50 microvolts and adopt 6 db per S unit the
> reading
> for 1 microvolt should be between S3 and S4 (S3 being 0.78 microvolts and
> S4
> 1.56 microvolts by my calculations). For practical purposes S3 is probably
> close enough rather than "about S2 or 3" as shown in the manual. Or is it
> more complicated than that? My arithmetic is not up working out how many S
> units one microvolt would be at 4db per S unit but I suspect it would be
> further away from S2 or 3. Anyone care to comment?

I believe 6 dB is the "correct" definition, but most S-meters (K3 and Flex
5k excluded) are very non-linear at low S-meter readings.  IMHO the
following is an accurate summary of what readings should be:

http://www.n6rk.com/S_unit_definitions.doc

I would adjust the K3 for the XG2's 1 uV output to solidly display S3 (i.e.
no flicker of S2-3).  That would only be 2.16 dB off (20 log .78/1), which
is probably "close enough".

73,  Bill