Don Wilhelm-4 wrote:

> If the K3 S-meter is calibrated with the  preamp ON, and then ABS mode
> is set on, the S-meter response for a 50 uV input will be S-7.
> If one is going to use S-meter ABS, then it is best to calibrate the
> S-meter  for S-9with the preamp off.

This is because you are selecting ABS **AFTER** meter calibration.  CONFIG:
SMTR MD - ABS should be set **PRIOR** to calibration if you plan to use it.

If set prior to the S-meter calibration, there is no change in my S9 reading
for 50uV input whether PRE is ON, ATT is ON, BOTH are ON or BOTH are OFF.
This is exactly as expected because the firmware is compensating for all
possible combinations.  The meter always indicates the correct S-meter
reading based on the signal applied to the input terminals, independent of
any internal gain or attenuation.

73,  Bill