Ditto - get the ATU.  Very useful for non-resonant (er, non-50 ohm
feedpoint) antennas.

I run the ATU on a 160m dipole used on all bands 160m - 10m.  No
worries.  Just make sure the feedline is 1/8-wave on the lowest band
and the ATU will bring your K3 50 + j0 ohms.

I also use the ATU on a homebrew vertical for 40-30-20-17m.  It helps
touch up the SWR just a little at the band ends.

Early on, I found that running the ATU in the presence of RF feedback
generally doesn't work so well.  Just what I was taught (the K3 was
unhappy too).  But the right choice of long wire length will let it do
its thing comfortably.  Just make sure the feedpoint is reasonably
distant from the shack.

73,
matt W6NIA
K3 #24