Most of the manufactures make their money off of the ink cartridges, not the
printer.  That said, there are a number of very inexpensive printers out
there;  using different cartridges running  the gamete in price.

Was checking out printers (for ARES use) a couple of weeks ago and the
salesman and I were talking about the price of ink; he told me some people
just buy a new printer, and it is only a couple of bucks more than replacing
the ink in their old one!  In fact, they had a older model HP marked down on
the clearance rack to $45.  I was going to buy it, but was smart enough to
talk them into checking it out.  Plugged it in and the first message was
something to the effect of "replace the color cartridge".  No problem, the
store had them in stock; price was just under $39.  Guess what, they would
not give me one, would have to buy it.  I was born at night, but not the
night before; so I said no thanks.

Before buying a printer, check out the price of the ink before buying the
printer, and look at printers that use different cartridges for the colors.
One of the worst "rib offs" is the tri color cartridge; you run out of one
color and you have to replace the cartridge.

I have two printers here (a wireless HP L7780 and a Canon IP6600).  The HP
has the two cartridge arrangement (black and a tri color); so that one is
used pretty much only for black and white printing by my wife from her
computer in the kitchen.  In the shack I have the Canon, and I use it for
both black and white, and color.  It uses six different cartridges, and they
are reasonable priced.

One other nice option is two sided printing;  both my HP and Canon do that
(which probably makes Al Gore and all his "environmental wackos" happy).  In
my case, I find it saves a lot of money in paper costs.

One final note; I think I have seen Wal Mart advertising a new Kodak printer
that is not suppose to "break the bank" when buying ink.  Might be worth
checking out; especially as a second printer to use for the everyday black
and white printing.

Dick  K8ZTT