Hi Lee

Thats why FT2000's, Icom 7800s, 7700's and most of the 200 watt radios are
selling so well to contesters and Dx'ers, even with a much poorer receiver than
the K3.

The importance of a 200 watt radio for many who run older style high drive amps
is a deal breaker. Who is going to rebuild their old 4-1000 amps just for a new
radio when you need more drive? I certainly would not.  I would go out and buy
a 200 watt radio.

I know many DX'ers who are running  FT1000D's who want to buy a K3 but wont
because it does not have 200 watts of output. If 200 watts was not important I
wonder why Yaesu keeps on producing radios with 200 watts of output power if
they were not popular? When the new FT5000 is released its going to be  one of
the best selling radios because it may have a good receiver and it has 200
watts of output power. For this reason alone it will be a huge hit.

I hear many many big gun stations now running 200 watts just casual dx,ing
because the results are impressive enough not to need the AMP. 200 watts makes
you loud enough to the point where you dont need the amp. 200 watts on CW is
perfect even on the low bands when you want to work a few stations before going
off to work. Very convenient! I run a old worn out Drake L4b which puts out 800
watts. Many many times i have just turned down the drive to produce 200 watts
and I have not had one station comment that my signal has dropped.

It looks like every new radio now will have 200 watts of output, and why not?
High voltage FETs are cheap readily available, there is no excuse anymore for
having 12 volt PA transistors in any high performance radio.

John