In 1963's telephone school for newly employed wet-behind-the-ears AT&T
testboardmen, we were taught 3 db as the discernible change, and the
reason why circuits that "toned out" more than a half db off had to be
patched out of service and adjusted spot on.  The only way to get from
anywhere to anywhere with a long distance circuit was to switch
shorter circuits together end to end, six times a half db was 3 db.

You could plainly hear  DC - Chicago - LA combos getting long and we'd
make lists to pull out on midnight tours. Spent three years doing
that. Until we got transistorized  line bays later on that were more
stable than the vaccum tube design, it was work a lot of overtime.

Their maintenance schedule, the tens of thousands of of testboardmen
they hired was based on the Bell Laboratories research on the matter.
For that reason I may have an attachment to it, as ultimately it paid
for my first house and car and put my kids through college, and is now
paying retirement.  If they'd said 2 dB maybe I never get hired.

If one wants to dig up the research, it's found in the Bell System
Technical Journal (BSTJ). This would be the stuff that everyone else
refers to:

'C. F. Sacia and G. W. Beck, "The Power of Fundamental Speech
Sounds," Bell Syst. Tech. J., vol. 5, pp. 395-403 (1926)'

'Harvey Fletcher and W.A. Munson,
"Loudness, Its Definition, Measurement, and Calculation,"
Bell Syst Tech J., vol 12, issue 4 pp 377 ff.(October 1933)' Abstract:

[Empirical formula for calculating loudness of any steady sound
from analysis of intensity and frequency of its components developed;
based on fundamental properties of hearing mechanism in such way that
scale of loudness values results; in order to determine form of
function representing this loudness scale, measurements were made of
loudness levels....]

73, Guy.