Tim,

The K3 with the SteppIR and MicroKeyer 2 will cause no problems - the
SteppIR does not transmit anything on the RS-232 bus, it simply
listens.  The MicroHam connects to the StepIR and the K3 connects from
the SteppIR pass-thru to the K3.
I am not familiar with the Palstar AT-AUTO, so I can't comment, but
since you said the manual referred to 'handshaking', that may be an
indication of difficulty, OTOH the K3 is not an Icom either, so it may
be possible that it will work with the K3 in a similar manner as the
SteppIR.

73,
Don W3FPR