Julian, G4ILO wrote:

> As you say, no-one is forcing anyone to upgrade. I don't think K3DSPUPGD is
> an essential upgrade. There are workarounds: use high impedance headphones,
> plug the phones into the rear speaker socket or do the mods yourself (at
> your risk) as a few people have done.

I totally agree. I am using 32-ohm phones which I bought at a local 'Guitar
Center' store
and they sound great, plenty of low-end. They cost about $90, but they are also
comfortable and well-constructed and have already lasted longer than several
pairs of
cheaper phones (I am tough on phones).

There seems to be a feeling in some quarters (I don't mean you necessarily)
that every
time Elecraft makes an improvement or a fix, every owner of the product should
get it for
free! Try telling this to your local automobile dealer.

> But I wonder if the promised fix to the synthesizer microphony issue will be
> another board swap? Upgrading just to keep your K3 "current" is something
> you can choose to do or not, if you can afford it. But from the indignant
> emails I got in response to my daring to suggest that the microphony-induced
> spurii were not a big issue I think that many are not going to consider that
> an optional modification, and some of those folks may be unhappy if they are
> asked to pay for it.

Look, there are always problems with every radio, and the more complicated
and/or advanced
it is, the more problems there will be. In the past, you either lived with the
problems,
fixed them yourself, or sold the radio. Elecraft has broken new ground by
making fixes
available for almost every reported issue.

There will be a solution to this one too, perhaps involving the speaker
mounting or adding
some absorbent material. I strongly doubt that a board swap will be necessary.
Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA
http://www.qsl.net/k2vco