> In what must surely be the latest evidence of my brain's
> declining function,
> I constantly confound the "V->M" and "M->V" buttons,
> inadvertently writing
> over the memory contents. Pressing the "V->M" button while it
> is "locked"
> would produce an audible beep and the text message "unlock V->M"

Nice idea Brian, a kind of senior interlock.

Meanwhile, I've taken the very simple but surprisingly effective measure of
colouring the V->M
button red with a marker pen.  I now think twice before pressing it.  Usually.

I've also managed to delete the contents of a memory accidentally, more than
once, by trying to
escape from the memory entry mode having ignored the red.  Hitting the CLR
button doesn't just
cancel the memory entry mode, it clears the memory, as it is supposed to do
according to the manual.
Maybe the K3 should require a double-press or hold of the CLR button to clear a
memory?

73 & merry Christmas all,
Gary  ZL2iFB