> If I am going to carry the radio onto the plane again, I
> would get a case
> that's not so heavy - it only has to be protected from the
> other passengers
> cases, and no bouncing around in flight.

I used a shiny alumin[i]um "flight case" meant for transporting camera and
electronics gear, from a
local shop.  It is 18x13x6" externally.  The pluck-out high density foam inside
is a fairly tight
squeeze for the K3, so it is snug and well supported.

Small & light enough for hand baggage, and strong enough to risk being put in
the hold if the
airline people at the gate ever insist it can't go on board.

Try your local electronics or camera shops.  Much cheaper than a Pelican too.

I was surprised to have no problems with it at the airport security scanners
travelling from ZL to G
to 9L and back, though I did have my amateur license in my carry-on backpack
just in case they were
curious.

Also suits the K2 (instead of, not as well as the K3!), leaving space for Palm
paddle, antenna wire,
switchmode PSU etc. See my "K2 suitcase set" at:
http://www.g4ifb.com/html/elecraft_k2_k3.html#K2

73
Gary  ZL2iFB
K3 #2887  K2 #1770