From: elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net
[mailto:elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of Ken Kopp
Sent: Tuesday, December 29, 2009 3:05 PM
Cc: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: [Elecraft] K3 Sub Rx antenna input choices

I purchased my sub-receiver for one specific use ... to monitor
6M for band openings while the radio might tuned to another
band.  I used the Elecraft-supplied BNC(F) to TMP(M) cable
to feed the sub-receiver's input.  This arrangement is essentially
"permanent" unless one does a partial dis-assembly to gain
access the sub-receiver's input jack.

I later decided that I'd like more flexibility regarding the choice
of antenna for the sub-receiver.  I now route the cable from the
BNC(F) to the area atop the sub-receiver and secure it to the
knurled nut on the top of the sub-receiver.  I also routed the
cable from the antenna tuner to the same area and secured
it along with the end of the cable from the rear panel BNC(F).

Next I made up a short (6") TMP(M) to TMP(F) cable that
plugs -permanently- into the sub-receiver's input.  This short
cable is also routed to the same area as the ends of the other
two cables.  Now, by lifting the top cover of the rig, I can choose
which source is fed to the sub-receiver's input via the short
extension cable.

It's -much- easier to gain access to the sub-receiver's antenna
jack if the KI03 is removed.  It's easy to damage the input jack
on the sub-receiver if you try to plug a cable into the jack from
above.

73! Ken Kopp - K0PP
      elecraftcov...@rfwave.net
      http://tinyurl.com/7lm3m5