On Sun, Jan 3, 2010 at 3:41 PM, Julian, G4ILO <julian.g4...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Tom Hammond-2 wrote:
>>
>> I had two speakers, with somewhat lengthy (though folded up and tied)
>> leads
>> which extended left and right across the back of the K3, wound in/out of
>> all
>> of the other wires back there as well, and BOTH leads attached to a single
>> stereo plug, inserted into the back of the K3.
>>
>> When I wanted to move the speakers, or to take them with me for a trip or
>> demo
>> I had to first unplug the plug from the back of the K3 and then 'snake' at
>> least one of the speakers up/down in/out of all the other accumulated
>> wires
>> before I could manage to resurrect both speakers fro in back of the rig.
>> It
>> got to be a really tiring process... really quick!
>>
>> I decided to fix that problem.
>>
>> I designed a small PC board on which two (2) stereo phone jacks were
>> mounted,
>> and then a 7" length of 2-conductor (w/shield) cable from the PC board to
>> single stereo plug which plugged into the back of the K3.
>>

> Been there, done that, etc. I think practically every socket on the back of
> my K3 has something plugged into it.
>
> But either I'm overlooking something, or you don't need to make up a special
> connector. You can buy little adapters that have one 3.5mm stereo jack
> output and two 3.5mm stereo sockets for input. I think they are made to
> allow two people to listen simultaneously to an MP3 player.

What you're missing is that that would still cause the "ring" to be
shorted to ground if a mono plug was inserted, and both speakers would
still get the "left" channel, whereas Tom's solution (presumably)
connects the ring of the K3 connector to the tip of the "right"
connector on his little box.

    ~Iain / N6ML