Fumiaki Okushi wrote:

> Have you actually done price comparison?
> Yaesu, Kenwood, ICOM products are only slightly more expensive in the US
> market.
> With respect to Canon and Nikon (and I believe you are referring to DSLR),
> they are usually cheaper in the US market (because of fierce competition).
> For example, Nikon D300S (body only).
> You can get it in Tokyo from Yodobashi Camera (one of the major camera
> stores in Japan) for 177000 yen,
> which at today's exchange rate is $1900.
> You can find the same D300S at Wolf Camera (US camera store chain) for
> $1700.

There's a lot of misinformation flowing here...Fumi-san is correct.  I
traveled to Japan frequently in the 70s and 80s and bought several cameras
and even a (Trio nee Kenwood) TS-820S in local markets there.  The savings
were substantial then but, beginning in the mid-1980s, it became cheaper to
buy equipment from NYC distributors, not to mention potential warranty
issues...ditto for Hong Kong prices.  BTW the D300S body is available for
$1500 from B&H Photo shipped and even $1389 from a less trustworthy
distributor.

73,  Bill