Unfortunately it is all too easy to "spoof" someone's e-mail identity.  An
e-mail message is merely a text message where some of the text (at the
beginning of the message stream) are headers that identify the sender, reply
address, and other information.  The remainder of the message is the actual
message body or information text itself.

So, anyone can fabricate an e-mail message (the rules are defined in several
different publicly available RFCs, e.g. RFC 2822).  This was not an uncommon
occurrence in some software technology companies, especially those with lots of
Unix oriented programmers.  It was simple to use telnet to originate a message
to be sent to the SMTP port on some computer.  You merely typed in the headers
you wanted to identify the sender and reply address and the receiver could have
no way of figuring out if the message was sent by the actual person whose
e-mail address was used or not.  There are some ways, such as clues to which
utility wrote the e-mail message (e.g. MS Outlook) that you could also
fabricate.

There are ways to prevent this, such as digital encryption and using digital
signatures, but this would require a major rework of electronic mail.  Many
corporate e-mail systems do not use the regular RFC defined mail protocols
unless messages are sent externally outside of the corporate e-mail system.
Instead, they use systems such as MS Exchange or IBM "Lotus" Notes.

73, phil, K7PEH