You did not say whether the PREamp was engaged.  Without it, the
internal noise is very low, and SHOULD be there to a mild degree.
WITHOUT the preamp, AGC off, it takes to about noon for moderate noise
audio.  WITH the preamp, AGC off it takes to about 9 oclock for
moderate noise audio.  What I hear I call hiss, not hash.

If you engage the preamp you will normally hear significantly more
noise. This significantly more noise SHOULD be there. It's a preamp,
and a "quiet preamp" is the holy grail.  A good preamp will increase
the noise as you hear it, but it will increase the signal more.

People use widely varying words to describe ""noise"".  Here I would
ask whether you are hearing hash versus hiss.  Hiss sounds smooth but
is noise.  Hash as a noise has edgy or gritty components to it that
are typically related to 60 Hz, 120 hz, or sometimes odd switching
power supply. But on battery, as you describe, I hear only a hiss.

At one point replacing the battery, I did something to the speaker
(twisted it) where something was making contact as the cone vibrated,
which added a hash-sounding element to speaker audio that was not in
phones audio. I was able to twist it out.

I have gotten hash off of a couple power supplies.  Still the best and
quietest is my ancient (20 years?) 3 amp Rak Shak 22-120A which powers
the K2 with a trickle charge float voltage that keeps the battery
topped off when K2 is off and will power 15 watts without complaint.

73, Guy