I have had the same problem.  It is most annoying to see the K2 picture
(ain't she pretty!) on the HRD webpage and not get mine to work with my XP
machine over the serial-to-USB converter.

After a lot of tests, I have concluded that there is something amiss in the
converter and the HRD software.  Why?  The same converter/k2/cpu combo works
fine with Logger32.  I've tried 2 different chipset converters with the same
results.  The most recent is one from IOGear that has a polling light on it
which provided this interesting tidbit of info: when using HRD, the polling
light does not show a consistent polling rate.  There are times when the
light flickers more than once in between the 500mS polls.  Meanwhile, the
frequency display (and subsequent data loaded into the log) varies:
sometimes it is 7.042.50 like the rig says, sometimes it is 70 while other
times it is just 7042.

One other test: on another computer using a REAL RS-232 interface, HRD and
my K2 act like a happily married couple.  I know this test changes two
variables but it is an interesting data point.

So, I've stopped trying to figure it out and will be content to use Logger32
instead of HRD until such a time that the shack computer can have a REAL
RS-232.  Since the computer is a laptop and doesn't have an empty slot
available, it's either throw out a completely working computer or wait for
it crash.  Now, the disc drive has been acting funny, so maybe there is a
new shack computer in the future...

Remember when ham radio was only about radios??!!

73, Clark KE4RQ