P 130 is blank on the pdf document !
73's
Philippe A65BI

>>> Kok Chen <c...@mac.com> 16-02-2010 14:16 >>>

On Feb 16, 2010, at 12:39 AM, turnbull wrote:

> When you write the manual for the P3 would you please include a good
> explanation of the use of waterfall displays.  I have one on my OII but do
> not fully understand its benefits.

Spectrograms, such as "waterfalls," make use of your eye-brain system to help
find signals that are below the noise level, especially when signals are
drifting and don't allow temporal averaging methods.

You can see an example of its use (1971) here:

http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19730010095_1973010095.pdf

Fig 11-7 on page 130 (although poorly reproduced in the PDF scan) and the text
on that page explains its use for discovering very, very weak and very, very DX
signals.

In the amateur world, the first use of waterfalls was by Skip KH6TY in his
Digipan program, I believe.  Without Digipan and the ease of "waterfall
tuning," PSK31 probably would not have become as popular as it is today.

With the addition of some special filtering, you can make a waterfall see even
deeper into the noise when the signal is not drifting. The two figures here

http://homepage.mac.com/chen/w7ay/cocoaModem/UsersManual/mfskManual/mfskManual/dominoex.html#weak

show the same weak DominoEX signal with 18 FSK carriers.  The top figure is
what the weak signal looks like in a simple waterfall, and the figure at the
bottom, with the same input SNR, takes advantage of a signal that is not
drifting, as explained in the accompanying text.

In the digital world, you can't work them unless you can *see* them :-).

A good waterfall display will also show a CW signal that you can't hear, and
can make "zero beating" a virtually instantaneous effort.  Or zero beating to a
synchronous AM carrier, etc etc.

73
Chen, W7AY