As an SWL since childhood, this is a subject near and dear to my
heart... :-)

After JRC and Drake abandoned the consumer HF receiver market there
has been a dearth of great tabletop receivers for the SWL. There are
commercial receivers but they cost multi-kilobucks, leaving little in
the middle between pro receivers and portables -- Icom R75 being the
only amateur manufacturer to offer any HF receivers, and I never cared
for their past offerings like the R71A and R72. I know many non-ham
SWLs who are using transceivers in order to get the advanced features
needed for serious SWLing (good filtering, noise reduction, notch,
passband shift, etc) without having to spend upwards of $4000 for a
pro box.

I don't know that removing the transmitter section from the K3 and
repackaging it as a receiver would knock enough off the price of a
basic K3 with KBPF3 and a 6 kHz filter (approx. $1700) to make it a
worthwhile venture for Elecraft. The $1700 price is actually quite
attractive, considering that's about what a JRC NRD-535D sold for
nearly 20 years ago. I've recommended the K3 to several SWLs recently;
whether any of them bought one is uncertain, but the price tag
certainly didn't scare anyone away.

73,
Paul WW2PT