Further to Julian's & others' comments about CW Skimmer removing the
need to tune the band,
a skilled part of the operating experience which is enjoyable to many
[but not all!] of us:

My friend is hot to write a software layer which will sit on top of CW
Skimmer and which will
win contests  -- entirely on its own.

Put another way, it is the next logical step after the PDP-7 program which
did QSOs on its own, described in this thread.

The amateur will just point my friend's software  at a contest , hit
start, and leave the shack.

I know just enough about artificial intelligence and expert systems to
believe that
he very possibly can do it. Then what?

Will we still enjoy contesting, knowing that  computers will
win every one?
Maybe. Deep Blue - the IBM parallel processor -  beat Garry Kasparov,
but people still like chess.
But do the Chess Masters [ the counterparts of the contest high-scorers]
still like it as much as they did before Deep Blue?
I haven't a clue, but somehow I doubt it.

Will we outlaw it, like ARRL may or may not do with CW SKimmer? Will it
make any difference?

eric, feeling uneasy, and looking back wistfully to the days of Spark Gap

VA7DZ

believed to be clean.