On Mon, 22 Feb 2010 10:28:40 +0100, Maarten van Rossum
<pd2r.maar...@gmail.com> wrote:

Here's a screen shot of the 20m band at one time during the CW
contest.  It indicates to me that there is no place to hide if you're
a CW operator and want to have a rag chew on 20m.

http://n5ge.com/Images/Public/20m%20CW%20Contest.bmp

I don't actively participate in contests, but I do watch the cluster
for spots of countries I haven't worked.  When I'm not doing that I
retreat to the WARC bands where contests are not allowed.

The saddest thing about contests is that they have reduced the number
of hams who actually rag chew and enjoy it.  However we here in the
USA enjoy the freedom to practice our hobby as we wish, and so it
should be.

Those of you who weren't hams when you had to do the Novice thing
haven't experienced a fully utilized Novice portion of a band.  If you
didn't have a CW filter it was hard to make a contact that lasted very
long.

73,

Tom, N5GE

n...@n5ge.com
K3 #806 with SUB RX, K3 #1055, PR6,
XV144, XV432, KRC2,
W1, 2 W2's and other small kits
1 K144XV on order

Novice: WN5QGE
Advanced: WB5QGE
Extra: N5GE

http://www.n5ge.com
http://www.swotrc.net

>And yet people still complain about contests...
>IMHO, if it weren't for contesting the bands would be real quiet.
>
>By the way, it is not my goal to make this into a "contesting yes or no"
>tread.
>
>I'm doing my best to learn code so hopefully I can join the fun next year
>;-)
>
>73, Maarten
>PD2R

[snip]