Dan:

If the Astron is working AS INTENDED, when the OVP SCR fires, the UA723 VReg
will immediately go into over-current protect mode, reducing the output current
to <1A WITHOUT damaging ANYTHING!  Same as if you placed a short directly
across the output terminals of the supply.

The ONLY time the fuse should blow is if the p ass transistors shorted.

73,

Tom Hammond   N0SS