Maybe some clarification of what the "calibration" really does would be helpful.

The hardware AGC in the K3 operates on the post-filter FET IF amplifier and
associated diodes.  The "RF" gain control (really IF gain) under the control of
the DSP adds a control voltage to the hardware AGC loop.  If the manual gain
control voltage exceeds the detected AGC voltage then it controls the IF gain,
otherwise, it's in the hands of the AGC detector.

Unfortunately, there is variability (no pun intended) in the FET Gm, from
device to device, hence for a given control voltage, each FET behaves
differently.  In comparison of my K3 to another, the differences were
remarkable.  In mine, even a slight reduction of manual gain caused an
immediate and obvious degradation of SNR even on a BC station that was S9+50
dB.  The comparison radio was much better behaved.

Anyone who has done any design work on receivers understands "delayed" AGC
where the delay serves to keep the gain nearer the front end high enough to
maintain SNR and only reduces it after the SNR is fully developed.  Clearly, in
my radio's case, the gain partitioning between the IF and DSP was being
negatively affected and the SNR took a hit.

The RF gain calibration was a response to this issue and serves to measure the
dB gain reduction vs. control voltage and develop a correction in firmware that
linearizes (in dB) the curve.

Contrary to the belief of some, this isn't an S-meter calibration, although
that is a secondary benefit.  Likewise, absent the development of hardware AGC
and/or the manual reduction of IF gain, it doesn't change the overall gain of
the radio.