This seems to be another one of those extremely variable things about
the K3.  Some folk's rigs seem to be extremely quiet and others not so
much.  The fans in my K3 are clearly audible at all speeds.  At the
highest speed it competes well with the old tower PC I use for digital
modes. I've replaced the fans once with very little difference in noise.

Most (but not all) of the reports of very quiet fans I've heard of
were from rigs with low serial numbers.  I suspect Elecraft may have
used different brands of fans at different times, which might account
for differences in reported noise.

As for how often they come on, from an idle temperature of 26C, it
takes about 1:15 of 20WPM CW at 50W into a dummy load for the fans in
my K3 to kick on.

73
--
Joe KB8AP