Phil,

I would place all the devices you mentioned into the category of
"consumer devices", and that is not the same as "industry devices".

How many point of sale terminals do you see in stores that are using a
USB connection?  Most (if not all) use RS-232.  The connectors may be
either 9 pin or 25 pin - they may or may not be consumer PC compatible -
the 25 pin RS-232 implements a secondary port as well as the primary,
and is used by many industrial devices.
Yes, those are not consumer devices, they are things that are used in
the retail sales arena.
If you are in a manufacturing area, look at the communications interface
between devices that are being used there - they are mostly all RS-232
or some other interface that is termed "archaic and outdated" by some of
the posts on this reflector.

RS-232 and others standard interfaces are definitely not dead, and are
being used in these environments because it is reliable and it works,
and is not dependent on the whims and desires of the OS updates.  These
environments also must run long distances with these communication
signals, and neither USB nor Firewire are capable of those distances -
RS-232 is.

Do not be fooled by the makers of laptop computers who are trying to
squeeze as much function as possible into a small space, and desktop
computers in the consumer market seem to be ignoring the need for RS-232
as well.  Such is life in the consumer market, but I do not want to
consider my K3 as a typical consumer device that I throw away and
purchase a new one when it does not work.

73,
Don W3FPR