Phil,

The problem will be found in the VFO Range Selection area.  Look at the
schematic for the RF Board sheet 1.
Check the soldering of C71 and C72 and relay K13.
It is possible that when hot, the contacts of K13 (and possibly K14) are
not making good contact.
Set to 80 meters and wait until the failure occurs, then power the K2
off and quickly (before things cool), check for continuity between K13
pins 3 and 4 also between pins 7 and 8 - both should be zero ohms - if
not, the relay has failed.
Check K14 in a similar manner, but set to 40 meters - after the failure,
you should have continuity between pins 3 and 4 of K14 and also between
pins 7 and 8.

The relay pins are numbered like an IC (pins 1 and 10 are at the same
end).  Look for the round solder pad at pin 1 (or the end with the white
stripe).

This is either a temperature related solder connection or a relay
contact problem.

73,
Don W3FPR