> Thanks for the link, do you know if Elecraft included this mod and
 > when they may have started doing so, and if they did, how I can tell
 > that my K3 has it?

The modification information indicates that it was incorporated in
production beginning about 1 Sept 2009 (RF board Rev H3 and later).

 > With the age of this unit (#4249), I would prefer not to start
 > modifying it just yet, at least not until the warranty expires.

That modification will not void the warranty if done properly
(e.g. if you don't use a torch!).  However, if you prefer to
avoid modifications, the Clifton Labs buffer is an alternative.
I messed up the link in the last response - here's the correct one:
<http://cliftonlaboratories.com/z10000_buffer_amp.htm>

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV

On 6/6/2010 10:10 AM, QRZ wrote:
> Hi Joe,
>
> Thanks for the link, do you know if Elecraft included this mod and
> when they may have started doing so, and if they did, how I can tell
> that my K3 has it?
>
> With the age of this unit (#4249), I would prefer not to start
> modifying it just yet, at least not until the warranty expires.
>
> It's unfortunate for me that I wasn't aware of this short fall
> before purchasing what I was told was a good solution for the lack of
> a panoramic display on the K3.
>
> Thanks to you and Don for the information. 73 George...WA1NTA
>
> -----Original Message----- From: Joe Subich, W4TV
> [mailto:li...@subich.com] Sent: Saturday, June 05, 2010 10:10 PM To:
> WA1NTA; Elecraft Reflector Subject: Re: [Elecraft] SDR-IQ
>

> Unless you have performed the IF Output buffer gain modification
> <http://www.elecraft.com/K3/mods/IF_Output_Buffer_Gain_Mod_Rev_A.pdf>

or use the Clifton Labs broadband buffer amplifier between K3&  SDR-IQ
> <http://www.elecraft.com/K3/mods/IF_Output_Buffer_Gain_Mod_Rev_A.pdf>

what you see is entirely normal.