Larry:

Although some claim this works, I wouldnt risk it.

I operate #3192 with a microKEYER2 and I dont like plugging
and unplugging either.

I purchased one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Switch-Manual-Serial-Position-CCS11200/dp/B000TTWZTQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1276712533&sr=1-1

I built several cables using one long serial cable I had on
hand and some DB-9 sockets and plugs.  Or you can buy
pre-made cables (see www.winford.com for all the varieties).

I wired a cable from the common port of the switch to the K3
serial input.  I plugged the MicroKeyer's serial output into
side A and my "real" serial port from my computer through a
serial cable into port B.

When I want to upload software or change a setting using
K3-EZ or the Utility, I turn the switch to B.  When I want
to use CAT using the MicroKeyer, I turn the switch to A.
microKEYER is very tolerant of this shenaniganz, you can
"hot switch" it in and out.  RX Freq will flash with
underscores when its not online, as soon as you switch back
to it, it figures things out and youre back to where you
were.

Simple, inexpensive, and has never failed me.

The switch also makes a nice riser stand for my Autek WM-1
wattmeter, bringing it level with the top of both my K3 and
my Kenwood TS570D second radio.

Its cheap!  Why risk issues?  Plus you get yet another knob
to twirl (hams like twriling knobs, eh?)

-lu -W4LT-
K3 #3192