Hmmm,

Still like to know just what the ratio of units sold vs units requiring
return for repair.

Not likely to see those figures I suppose but it would perhaps throw some
light on the reliability of the radios.

These figures would need to have the "operator caused" repairs shown as
separate figures.

I suspect the figures would be quite good (read low) when it comes to actual
component failure.

When you add upgrades, building of new K3's, preparing for the P3 I would
imagine the picture would be a little clearer.

Turn around time for my K3 was about 7 weeks, however, between 2 and 3 weeks
was postage between the US and Australia and the Kangaroo's seem slow to
deliver here when they have K3's strapped to their back...(Grin)

Turnaround time by Icom in Australia was about a month the two times the
706MKIIG suffered terminal issues and Yaesu here are not too bad either.
Kenwood is somewhere between slow and unresponsive from the stories we hear
down under.

The biggest difference I hear with Elecraft is that a lot of the problems
can be resolved quicker if the problem can be isolated to a board so that a
simple swap can be done and thus eliminates return to the factory for
repairs. For those that are unable or not confidenrt in their ability to
take the radio apart they at least have to opportunity to use the factory
repair facility.

Just my 2 cents worth....keep the change

73's
Gary

On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 7:26 AM, NZ8J <n...@woh.rr.com> wrote:

> Hearing "at least a month before it hits the bench", was discouraging,
> stories of 7 weeks in the recent past is even more disappointing. At
> least I hope the theories are correct in that it is due to an unusual
> amount of upgrades and not an increase in failures.
> Tim
> NZ8J

Gary
VK4FD - Motorhome Mobile
http://www.qsl.net/vk4fd/
K3 #679
For everything else there's Mastercard!!!