Thanks for several on- and off-list responses.  Yes indeed, my VOX gain
was still sitting at 0.00 and cranking it up a bit took care of the
problem.  I had done a search for "VOX" related entries in the "CONFIG"
menu but failed to check the "MENU" menu.  My bad.

The idea that the tones from the software (sound card) might get
filtered if they don't match those in the rig was a good one too.  I
think mine are lined up pretty well.

Now I'll write all this stuff down in my "notes to self" and next time
won't re-invent the wheel or perturb the list.

73-

Nick, WA5BDU