Kevin Venzke wrote:

I think a better method that would achieve everything you are trying to do with your method (technically
if not "psychologically") would be this:

"1) Voters indicate one Favourite and also Approve as many candidates as they like.

2) Any candidate voted as favourite on 50% or more of the ballots wins.

3) Eliminate any candidate whose max. approval opposition score is greater than 50%, unless that is all
the candidates.  [I'm not sure if that's possible].

Nope, that's not possible. You can only get this score if someone else
has majority approval and you don't. It's an MD filter really.

4) Of the remaining candidates, the two voted as favourite on the most ballots go to the second round."

This uses a more expressive ballot and mainly confines the split- vote problem to the "top" of the ballot. So the normal recommended strategy in the 3 viable candidates scenario would be vote the most preferred of the 3 as favourite, and approve all the candidates you prefer to the least preferred of the 3.

What do you think of that?

I've had this exact thought... I agree that on paper this should be similar in effect and better.
Kevin,
Thinking about this a bit more, why not expand this into a fully-fledged 3-slot method?

"Middle-slot votes count only as approval for calculating max. approval opposition scores. Candidates with a Max. AO score greater than 50% of the valid ballots are eliminated.
Elect the remaining candidate with most top-slot votes."

I think that would be like a CDTT method. Wouldn't we then have a method that meets Minimal Defense, a variety of Later-no-Harm (middle-rating candidates can't harm the voter's top-rated candidates),FBC and mono-raise; but fails Plurality, 3-slot Majority for Solid Coalitions, and Irrelevant Ballots,
and has a sort of random-fill incentive?

What do you think of that? It seems so Venzke-like, have you ever proposed it?

Chris Benham